Sights and Scenes: Jacksonville Beach
Located 17 miles east of Downtown Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach is the second largest city in Duval County and the Jacksonville Metropolitan Statistical Area.
About Jacksonville Beach
Incorporated on May 22, 1907 as Pablo Beach, Jacksonville Beach is the second largest city in the Jacksonville Metropolitan Area with a total population of 23,830. Modern development in the city began during the late 19th century when a group of investors created plans to build a resort community on the ocean that would be connected to Jacksonville by rail. The community was originally known as Ruby Beach. Ruby was the name of the oldest daughter of railroad surveyor William E. Scull and wife Eleanor.
In 1886, the community was renamed to Pablo Beach after the San Pablo River which separates the island from the mainland. In 1900, Henry Flagler acquired the railroad to Pablo Beach and extended it to Mayport as a part of his Florida East Coast Railway. In the early 20th century, the city became known for its boardwalk and amusement parks. In 1925, the name was changed to Jacksonville Beach.
Sights and Scenes