Sights and Scenes: Live Oak
Located 84 miles west of Jacksonville, Live Oak was Florida's fifth largest city in 1905.
The southwest corner of West Howard Street and Ohio Avenue.
Veterans Memorial Park is located at the intersection of West Howard Street and Pine Avenue.
Millennium Park is a public space that was built on the site of the Suwannee County Democrat building that was destroyed by fire in 1995.
The Little Bar at Pine Avenue and Conner Street.
The Suwannee County Jail on Pine Avenue. The Suwannee County Jail is the booking and intake location for all law enforcement agencies operating within Suwannee County. It has an authorized capacity of 235 inmates.
The Live Oak Union Passenger Depot is located at 208 North Ohio Avenue and was completed in 1909. Originally, the station was served with passenger trains operated by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, Seaboard Air Line Railroad, Florida Railway Company, and the Live Oak, Perry, and Gulf Railroad Company. Passenger rail operations ceased in 1971.
The Union Depot and the adjacent Atlantic Coast Line Freight Station were added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 24, 1986.
The former junction of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, Seaboard Air Line Railroad, and the Live Oak, Perry, and Gulf Railroad Company railroads.
The former Huffman & Gilmore Feed Seed Farm & Garden Supply warehouse. Huffman & Gilmore operated from 1942 to 2018.
Now CSX, the former Seaboard Air Line Railroad is the last of four original railroad lines that once came together at Live Oak.
The 406 Restaurant is an upscale eatery along State Road 136/Duval Street at Georgia Avenue.
The Live Oaks City Waterworks Building on Duval Street NE.
The Suwannee County Chamber of Commerce building is also known as the Old Live Oak City Hall. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 24, 1986.
The First Baptist Church at West Howard and Church Avenues.
The African Baptist Church at Walker Avenue SW and 7th Street SW.
The Jim Hinton Oil Company’s office, bulk plant and tank wagon operations at 204 Haines Street.
Article by Ennis Davis, AICP. Contact Ennis at firstname.lastname@example.org