Exploring Tampa's historic Ybor City
A virtual walk through Tampa's historic Ybor City.
The Tampa Box Company building was constructed during the 1890s to manufacture wooden cigar boxes for Ybor City’s cigar factories. During the early 2000s, the building was renovated into the Box Factory Lofts.
The Philip Shore Elementary Magnet School at 1908 East 2nd Avenue. The school was originally built in 1922 and named in honor of Philip Shore, an Italian immigrant who came to Tampa in 1895.
This building was completed in 1909 for the Esberg-Gunst Cigar Company. In 1925, it was purchased by the Corral-Wodiska and Company. Cigar manufacturing would end when the company was purchased by Jacksonville’s Swisher in 1985. The building later became the home of a garment manufacturing business. Today, its used as office space.
Historic residences along East 17th Avenue.
Established in 1895, the J.C. Newman Cigar Company is the oldest family-owned premium cigar company in the country. Founded in Cleveland, the company moved to Ybor City to be closer to Cuba in 1954. Since 1954, the company has occupied the former Regensburg Cigar Factory which was built in 1910.
Historic residential dwellings along East Columbus Drive.
This vacant building was a cigar factory built for the Perfecto Garcia and Brothers Cigar Company in 1914.
The historic Cuscaden Pool Swimming Pool was built in 1937 as a Works Progress Administration project.
The German-American Club was organized in 1901. The building at 6111 North Rome Avenue was completed in 1909.
Centro Asturiano de Tampa was a social club for immigrants from Asturias, Spain. In 2005, the building was renovated to provide affordable senior housing.
Article by Ennis Davis, AICP. Contact Ennis at firstname.lastname@example.org