Sights and Scenes: Micanopy
Covering 1.03 square miles and named after a Seminole Nation chief, Micanopy is believed to be the oldest inland town in Florida. Established in 1821, it was the first town to be developed after Spain relinguished Florida to the United States. Eventually bypassed by US 441, Micanopy has been largely preserved in its early 20th century state, offering visitors an interesting look at a Florida community that has avoided the modern proliferation of suburban sprawl, roadway widenings and autocentric development. Here is a look at an old Florida town that has become well known for its collection of antique shops and cafes.
Micanopy Photo Tour
Moses Elias Levy immigrated to Florida in 1821, establishing a plantation and agrarian refuge for Jews who were then suffering under repression in Europe. His son David Levy Yulee developed the Florida Railroad, from Fernandina to Cedar Key between 1855 and 1861.
Originally used by J.E. Thrasher, Sr., the Thrasher Warehouse was constructed circa 1890 and served by a branch of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad until the 1950s. Today, the warehouse is occupied by the Micanopy Historical Society Museum.
Originally a brick school house built in 1895, this building is now occupied by the Micanopy Town Hall and Micanaopy Branch Library
505 NE Cholokka Boulevard was built by John Early Thrasher after a 1911 fire destroyed his general store.
Micanopy Lodge No. 29 F. & A. M.
The Church of the Mediator Episcopal Church is housed in a former Presbyterian Church that dates back to 1874.
Completed in 1845 for the Simonton family, the Herlong Mansion is now a bed and breakfast. The building is said to be haunted.
The Old Florida Cafe
The OutPost occupies a packing house building dating back to the 1930s. The structure was initially used for the grading and packing of beans.
The Gallery Under the Oaks
Lotus & Budda Art Collective and Coffee Bar
Inside the Lotus & Budda Art Collective and Coffee Bar