Exploring the campus of Edward Waters College
Anchoring Mid-Westside, Edward Waters College was founded in 1866 to educate the former enslaved and is the oldest private institution of higher education in the state of Florida. Located a mile west of Downtown Jacksonville, it is also the oldest historically Black college in Florida.
Edward Waters College Photo Tour
The George N. Collins Student Union Building was built in 1971.
Centennial Hall is the oldest building on campus. Built in 1916, it was added to the United States National Register of Historic Places on May 4, 1976. Now the college library, this structure was designed by Richard Lewis Brown (1854-1948), Jacksonville’s first-known black architect. Centennial Hall is also the home of the Obi-Scott-Umunna Collection of African Art. This collection consists of masks, musical instruments, bronze statuettes, carved ivory and many other artifacts represent artistic traditions that have thrived in Central and West Africa.
Built in 1919 and located at 1665 Pearce Street, the Susie Tolbert House, is named for Susie Ella Middelton Tolbert. Ms. Tolbert was active in the civic, educational, and religious affairs of the community.
The Center for Criminal Justice & Foresnic Science was added to the campus in 2013.
The Schell-Sweet Community Resource Center was completed in 1997.
Completed in 1969, the Hatcher-Stewart Building houses the college’s science and mathematics departments.
The Bishop Henry Young Tookes Building was completed in 1945. It served as the campus library until 1979.
The Lee-Cousins Building (B.F. Lee Theological Seminary Building) is a three-story Tudor Revival-style structure built between 1925 and 1927 to house the college’s Theological Department. It was added to the campus when the college was under the leadership of Rev. G.E. Curry. Today the building is home to the Milne Auditorium, administrative and business offices for the campus.