Sights and Scenes: Cassadaga
Meaning 'Water beneath the rocks', the Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp was established by George P. Colby in 1894. Now recognized as the 'Psychic Capital of the World', it is the largest spiritualist community in the southern United States. A destination for mediation, spiritualism, historic tours and psychic readings and more, the camp was designated as a National Register historic district in 1991.
Located just east of I-4 in Volusia County, the Southern Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp Historic District contains 65 historic buildings and two objects. The current town plat was implemented in 1902 and is characterized with a grid pattern of streets and city blocks. An earlier 1895 plat that was never developed, featured curvilinear streets, large parks and green spaces. Here is a brief photograph tour of Cassadaga.
The Andrew Jackson Davis Building was completed in 1904 and served as the Cassadaga Campmeeting Association’s headquarters. Today, it is occupied by the association’s business office and a bookstore.
The Andrew Jackson Davis Building.
Built in 1923, the Colby Memorial Temple is a Mediterranean Revival style structure were religious services and a variety of programs were held each winter. Construction of the building was financed by the Cassadaga Campmeeting Association in 1923.
This building is the only octagonal plan structure in the Cassadage historic district. It is now used as the Caesar Forman Healing Center.
The Cassadaga Hotel was completed in 1927. The Mediterranean Revival style building was erected to replace a 19th century hotel on the same site that was destroyed by fire in 1926.
This brick pillar covered with stucco was erected at the entrance to the Spiritualist Camp in 1928 by the Jacob Lumber Company. The brick pillars at Cassadaga Road and Stevens Street were erected to replace an entrance gate that had dated back to 1910.
Harmony Hall was constructed in 1895 by the Cassadaga Campmeeting Association as a boarding house to accommodate winter guests.
Brigham Hall was construction in 1898 by the Cassadaga Campmeeting Association as a boarding house to accommodate winter guests.
Seneca Park is named for George Colby’s Spirit Guide. It is one of the largest parks at the Spiritualist camp.