The Prairie School residences of Riverside Avenue
Riverside Avenue is home to the most concentrated collection of Prairie-style houses in the South.
2973 Riverside Avenue was designed by Henry Taylor and completed in 1916. It was built for G.W. Byrnes of the Florida Hardware Company.
2981 Riverside Avenue was designed by Ransom Buffalow and completed in 1916. Produce dealer C.B. Fitch was the first person to live in this residence.
3003 Riverside Avenue was designed by Ransom Buffalow and completed in 1916.
3037 Riverside Avenue was built for N. Wilson Redmond in 1914. Redmond was the manager of downtown’s Imperial Theatre.
3305 Riverside Avenue was designed by Ransom Buffalow. Planned as Buffalow’s own residence, he died before the project was completed by his son Luther, in 1922.
3520 Riverside Avenue is a 3,115 square feet completed in 1922.
3559 Riverside Avenue is a 2,408 square foot residence completed in 1925.
3662-64 Riverside Avenue is a 2,766 square foot duplex completed in 1926. G. Hoyt Smith, an editorial writer for the Florida Times-Union, was an early resident at this location.
Article by Ennis Davis, AICP. Sources Jacksonvilles Architectural Heritage by Dr. Wayne Wood, Duval County Property Appraiser and Ancestry.com. Contact Ennis at firstname.lastname@example.org