St. Augustine's Lincolnville Historic District
Originally called Africa or Little Africa, Lincolnville was settled by recently freed enslaved in the marshes of Maria Sanchez Creek just west of St. Augustine in 1866. Largely developed between 1866 and 1930 where the former Yallaha and Buena Esperanza orange grove plantations once stood, Lincolnville is a historic Gullah Geechee community and home to the largest concentration of late Victorian era buildings in the oldest city in the continental U.S.
The Dog Rose Brewing Company open in Lincolnville in 2017.
Established in 1821, the Trinity United Methodist Church is one of the oldest in the city. After the Civil War, the church was divided into two separate congregations by race. The black church, known as Trinity Independent Methodist Church, built this structure in the early 1900s. The building was included on the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation’s 2018 11 to Save list.
Preserved is an upscale authentic southern cuisine restaurant that opened along M.L. King Avenue and Bridge Street in 2016.
The mission that lead to the creation of this black catholic church began in 1871. The St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church was consecrated in 1911. Construction of the rectory, church and school was completed around 1916. In 1964, Martin Luther King, Jr. used the rectory as a place to plan marches throughout the city.
Formerly enslaved, Richard James established the St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church along the Maria Sanchez Creek in 1873.
The First Baptist Church of St. Augustine was established through the efforts of Mrs. Hannah Jordan in 1872. This building was erected in 1915. During the 1960s, it was a place for mass meetings involving the N.A.A.C.P. and S.C.L.C. The church is considered the cradle of the civil rights movement in St. Augustine.
The Lincolnville Museum & Cultural Center is an African-American history museum sharing the history of Lincolnville’s growth from a cluster of plantation shacks into a Gullah Geechee neighborhood listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The museum is housed in the former Excelsior School building. Constructed in 1925, Excelsior was a school for black students during Segregation.
The Blue Hen Café is a local breakfast and lunch eatery known for its variety of Southern dishes.
St. Cyprian’s Episcopal Church was founded for former enslaved in 1893. The current building was consecrated in 1900.
Lincolnville originated as Africa or Little Africa on the banks of Maria Sanchez Creek in 1866. Maria Sanchez Creek once served as the border between Lincolnville and the older neighborhoods of St. Augustine. During the 1880s, the northern portion of the creek was filled in for the development of Henry Flagler’s developments to the north. A portion of the former creek bed also become Maria Sanchez Lake.
FEMA is currently funding a stormwater project along Lake Maria Sanchez that will significantly reduce existing flooding conditions associated with sea level rise. A new stormwater pump station and flood wall will be built on the south of the project.
Bethel Baptist Church (far right) was established in 1939. In 1943, this building was erected in 1943. In 1963, it provided meeting space for the N.A.A.C.P. Youth Council. Meetings also took place at Bethel when Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. came to town in 1964.